Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Larry Jothyim - FUNNYADLIB$ (2021) (S)

 

Larry Jothyim is one of the few modern day rap artists I listen to. I appreciate his lyrics, his 'flow' and the actual core melodies (both musically and vocally) that he conjures up. However, his most recent track, FUNNYADLIB$, doesn't sit as well as other tracks do with me.

The song isn't terrible - I do not hate the track, but it is definitely not one of LJ's strongest songs in his catalog. I've heard a lot of people do enjoy the track, but to me, I find this to be a somewhat weak track in terms of structure. I think the beat of the song is ear-rattling and uncomfortable to listen to. The chord progression is okay, but the way its presented is not something i'd want to have on repeat. Most of the lyrics are staple topics in the Jothyim library - murder and fame - but some lyrics aren't as heavy hitters as others. At the beginning of the song, LJ states he is a genius (which is as classic LJ as classic LJ gets) but a few lines later, says he'd remain 'stainless' and 'unnamed', which contradicts earlier lyrics as well as Jothyim's infamous personality of being #1 across society, whether it be the rap game, gang affiliation or just the common man. These lyrics more-so feel like theyre just supposed to fall into the rhyme scheme rather than state something.

However, not everything is downhill for this track. LJ's strong, loud, aggressive rap style is present in this track, as seen in HEISENBERG, which in my opinion, is the GOAT when it comes to Jothyim's discography. The way he vocalizes his lyrics to the song is flawless, and the sound effects and extra vocals present fit the lyrics as opposed to just being random sounds.

Overall, the song sits somewhere a long a 6/10 for me. Its weak lyrics and unbearable beat really ruin it, but LJ also proves he hasn't lost his way when it comes to his signature flow after being away for so long. I hope this track sparks interest in music again for LJ, since his hiatus was rather lengthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Fun Haus - Falling Down (2021) (S)

  I haven't listened to a whole lot of NFH, but this new release definitely captured my attention. Falling Down experiments with brass, ...